BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) gis are a crucial element of the sport of jiu-jitsu. They have a rich history that spans several decades, and they have continued to evolve over time. From the early days of the sport to the present day, BJJ gis have continued to play a vital role in the development of jiu-jitsu.
While BJJ has its roots in Japan, the sport was brought to Brazil by Mitsuyo Maeda in the early 20th century. It was in Brazil that the sport truly took off, and it was there that the first BJJ gis were used. These early gis were simple in design, similar to the traditional Japanese judo uniforms.
As the sport grew in popularity, the BJJ gi evolved to meet the needs of the athletes. The gi became more durable, with stronger materials and reinforced stitching. The jackets became longer, and the pants became wider, to make it harder for opponents to get a grip during matches.
Bold Fact: The first BJJ gi manufacturer was a company called Hikaru, which was founded in the 1970s.
In the 1980s, competition grew more intense, and the rules governing the sport became more strict. The BJJ gi had to meet certain requirements, such as being made of a specific type of woven cotton fabric, and having a minimum weight. Many of the gis used in competition today still follow these strict guidelines.
Bold Fact: The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) sets the standards and regulations for BJJ gis used in competition.
In recent years, BJJ gis have continued to evolve, with new materials and designs being used to enhance performance. Lightweight gis have become popular, as they allow for greater mobility and breathability. Gi manufacturers are also looking to incorporate more fashion-forward designs, with bold colors and patterns.
Bold Fact: Some of the top BJJ gi manufacturers today include Tatami Fightwear, Venum, and Kingz.
Today, BJJ gis are an essential part of the sport, and they continue to evolve with each passing year. As the sport grows and changes, so too will the gi. But one thing will remain constant – the BJJ gi will continue to be a symbol of the dedication and discipline that is required to excel in jiu-jitsu.
Key Decision-Making Factors:
1. Style and Design
2. Fabric Quality and Durability
3. Free Belt Offer
4. Proven Performance by Top Competitors
5. Fit and Sizing
1. Style and Design - The Sanabul Essentials Gi sports a classic and uncluttered style that can boost your confidence on your first day in the gym or during your upgrade to a cleaner look. This factor is essential because wearing comfortable yet stylish gym clothes can motivate you to maximize your training session and increase your overall performance.
2. Fabric Quality and Durability - Sanabul Essentials Gi is made of high-quality and specially treated fabric that keeps you dryer and cleaner during long workout sessions. This factor is essential because you need a durable gi that can withstand extended use, especially during intense training and competition. It is also crucial to have a fabric that stays dry to keep you comfortable and focused.
3. Free Belt Offer - For a limited time, Sanabul is offering a free BJJ belt in any color with your purchase. This factor is essential because it can save you money and provide you with the necessary gear without having to buy additional items separately. Having the right gear can also increase motivation and performance during training sessions.
4. Proven Performance by Top Competitors - Sanabul Essentials Gi is tested and trusted by some of the top competitors in the world, including Bellator fighter and BJJ black belt Guilherme Bomba and legendary Jiu-Jitsu coach, John Danaher. This factor is essential because you need confidence that the product you are buying is of excellent quality and proven performance.
5. Fit and Sizing - Sanabul Essentials Gi takes the guesswork out of sizing. The preshrunk gi can be thrown in a cold water wash and hang-dried, without having to worry about shrinkage. This factor is essential because having the right fit can help increase your mobility and overall performance during training or competition. It is also essential to have a gi that fits well to increase comfort and confidence.
Overall, the Sanabul Essentials Gi is an excellent choice for anyone starting or upgrading their BJJ gear. The combination of style, fabric quality, free belt offer, proven performance, fit, and sizing makes it an essential purchase that can help increase motivation, performance, and overall confidence.
FAQ About bjj gis
1. Who is the best GI Jiu Jitsu?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different people may have different opinions on who is the best GI Jiu Jitsu out there. Some of the most respected practitioners in the sport include Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida, Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Andre Galvao, and Saulo Ribeiro, among many others.
2. How many BJJ gis should I own?
It is recommended to own at least two BJJ gis, as this will allow you to always have a clean uniform on hand even if one of them is in the wash. Some practitioners prefer to own more gis to avoid having to wash them as frequently, while others are content with just one or two.
3. Are Tatami GIS IBJJF approved?
Yes, many of Tatami's gis are IBJJF approved, meaning they meet the organization's strict regulations regarding gi size, weight, and material. However, it is important to double-check the specific gi you are interested in to make sure it is approved.
4. Why are BJJ gis so heavy?
BJJ gis are typically heavier than other types of martial arts uniforms, due to the thick fabric and reinforced stitching required to withstand the stresses of grappling. This is especially true for competition-level gis, which must meet certain weight and thickness requirements set forth by the IBJJF. Additionally, some gis may contain additional padding or reinforcement in certain areas, which can add to their weight.
One more thing before we go: if you're in the market for a new BJJ gi, we highly recommend checking out the Sanabul Essentials. Not only is it designed to go on the journey with you with its durable construction, but it also features a classic, uncluttered style that will never go out of fashion. Plus, its specially treated fabric ensures it stays dryer and cleaner during those marathon gym sessions. And the best part? For a limited time, you can get a free Sanabul BJJ belt of your choice with your purchase! So, be sure to check out 25 Best BJJ Gi Brands in 2023: The Complete List for a comprehensive list of the 25 best BJJ gi brands in 2023, and 7 Best Gi Brands for Jiu Jitsu for the 7 best gi brands for Jiu Jitsu!